Friday, January 7, 2011

things I've learned...



I've had this post in my mind for a while, and I thought now is as good a time as any to write some of the things I've learned while being a wife and mom here in this country across the world from America.

It is definitely worth it to pay to park a bike here. It's much more expensive to have to buy a new bike after the old one is stolen than a mere 3 cents every time we park. (A hard lesson for a penny pincher)

It is okay for me to only plan ONE big outing with the boys per day. More than that and I don't really like who I become sometimes.
We really ARE called specifically to the people that we spend the most time with.

I tend to make goals that I can't keep--and I'm learning to go with what I can do (and be a joyful mom) instead of the to-do list especially if the to-do list makes me a stressed mom. And play is important--see Luke-osaurus Rex and Mr. Soccer...

I like to create things and it's okay to make time to do that. And I really like planning a party (this is a new discovery!)

I HAVE to expect things to take longer than I think they should. For example, going to the post office--having to fill out forms more than once and going to 2 or 3 different lines. If I expect it to be that way, I'm a lot less likely to start crying in the process!

Have snacks and activities for our boys at all times when we go out. That would be the same in America, but even more here without activities at restaurants...

I have learned how to make yogurt and ricotta cheese all by myself. I had no idea those could be made from scratch, pretty much! And it's so much cheaper to do it myself! My friend has a blog called market2meal that is amazing for making things that we can eat wherever!

I WILL be scolded when I go out. If it's because I'm carrying too many things on my bike from Metro OR because my children are too cold (I'd really love it if they could TEACH me how to have my children keep their hats and gloves on!).

Sometimes I'm not scolded or meet someone who is really so wonderful and helpful, and that is such a blessing. I don't take that for granted. It's the simple things--a reasonable price, holding the elevator door. I have started saying an immediate thanks in my heart to the Father.

It is a gift to be able to live over here. Always.

Happy New Year. 2011 is already so exciting for us, as the Father is speaking some new things to us. I asked Him yesterday what he wanted our 2011 year's word to be, and He spoke the word "Soar". Let's see where it takes us!!

1 comment:

  1. Shannon...I love you! I totally loved this post...I can identify with you so much on the making too many goals for myself and then getting frustrated! I'm still working on this one! I so love the word the Father gave you for this year! Soar!!!

    ReplyDelete